Serial entrepreneur and longtime practitioner of sustainable landscapes and sustainable living. An international teacher, speaker and workshop holder. Author of forthcoming book,
How to be Happy. Practicing what she preaches in Kilmarnock, Ontario, and Leesburg, Florida
The Vatican said Pope Francis had ruled Mr McCarrick’s expulsion from the clergy as definitive, and would not allow any further appeals against the decision.
Martin Bashir, BBC religion editor
This is a significant moment in the Roman Catholic Church’s effort to address the tide of sex abuse scandals – not least because of the high status this former Cardinal Archbishop once held.
Not only was he the first cleric in more than 100 years to resign from the College of Cardinals, but his removal from the priesthood also confirms Pope Francis’ assertion that anyone found guilty of abuse will be treated with zero tolerance, regardless of their status within the church.
The Vatican has said that the investigative process was completed in January and Mr McCarrick was informed of the decision to dismiss him from the priesthood last night. It comes days before Pope Francis will host all the presidents of bishops conferences around the world at a summit in Rome.
The summit is designed to reflect upon the global challenge of abuse and to develop protocols and procedures that could be applied across continents.
What are the allegations?
Mr McCarrick is alleged to have assaulted the teenager while working as a priest in New York in the early 1970s. The claims were made public by the current Archbishop of New York, Cardinal Timothy Dolan.
He said an independent forensic agency had investigated the allegations. A review board, including legal experts, psychologists, parents and a priest, then found the allegations “credible and substantiated”.
Several more men have since said the cleric forced them to sleep with him at a beach house in New Jersey, while they studied for the priesthood as adult seminarians. One man has come forward saying he was assaulted while still a minor.
It has also since emerged that financial settlements were reached in at least two cases of alleged sexual misconduct with adults involving Mr McCarrick.
They involved “allegations of sexual misconduct with adults decades ago”, while he was working as a bishop in New Jersey, bishops in the state told US media.
How does this fit into the wider sexual abuse scandal?
The dismissal of Mr McCarrick is the latest incident in a series of long-running cases of sexual abuse of children and young men by priests at the Church.
Bruno Ganz, who played Hitler in the 2004 film Downfall, has died aged 77.
The Swiss actor died at home in Zurich on Friday night, his management said.
Ganz was well-known in German-language cinema and theatre and also had roles in English-language films including The Reader and The Manchurian Candidate.
His most famous role, however, was as Adolf Hitler in Downfall. One particular scene depicting Hitler in apoplectic fury became a meme and spawned thousands of parodies online.
The film, called Der Untergang in German, told the story of Hitler’s final days in his Berlin bunker. It grossed $92m (£71.3m) at box offices around the world when it was released.
It was named winner of the BBC Four World Cinema Award and was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film, but since then it has become almost as famous for a wave of internet parodies of its final scene, poking fun at numerous news events.
But he said: “I cannot claim to understand Hitler. Even the witnesses who had been in the bunker with him were not really able to describe the essence of the man.
“He had no pity, no compassion, no understanding of what the victims of war suffered.”
Ganz, the most famous Swiss actor, had a rich and varied career. He appeared in Werner Herzog’s Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979) and played an angel in Wim Wenders’ Wings of Desire (1987) and its sequel Faraway, So Close! (1993).
He appeared in genres including noir – The American Friend (1977) – and science fiction – The Boys from Brazil (1978), which starred Sir Laurence Olivier. In 2008 he had a role in The Baader Meinhof Complex and his last role was in Lars von Trier’s 2018 film The House that Jack Built.
At the time of his death, Ganz was the holder of the Iffland-Ring, an accolade to the German-speaking actor judged “most significant and worthy”.
The ring is passed from person to person, and it is not yet clear who Ganz had intended it to transfer to on the occasion of his death.
It has been reported that Ganz had been diagnosed with colon cancer.
Nigeria’s president and leading opposition candidate have appealed for calm after the shock move to delay elections for a week.
President Muhammadu Buhari said he was “deeply disappointed” but urged people to refrain from “civil disorder”.
Main rival Atiku Abubakar called for patience but accused the administration of “anti-democratic acts”.
Election officials cited “logistical” reasons for the 11th-hour delay in presidential and parliamentary polls.
In a press conference on Saturday, the chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (Inec), Mahmood Yakubu, said the decision to delay had “nothing to do with political influence”.
How have the political parties reacted?
The two main groups, the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) and the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), both condemned the move and accused each other of trying to manipulate the vote.
President Buhari, of the APC party, urged Nigerians to “refrain from civil disorder and remain peaceful, patriotic and united to ensure that no force or conspiracy derail our democratic development”.
His main rival, Atiku Abubakar, called for calm over the next seven days saying: “I’m appealing to Nigerians to please come out and vote and I’m asking them to be patient about it.”
In a tweet he said the administration was trying to disenfranchise the electorate.
The chairman of the PDP, Uche Secondu, said the delay was “dangerous to our democracy”, accusing Mr Buhari of trying to “cling on to power even when it’s obvious to him that Nigerians want him out”.
And the voters?
In many cases they reacted with disappointment, frustration and anger.
In the northern town of Daura, Musa Abubakar, who had travelled 550km (342 miles) from Abuja to take part in the election, told the BBC that he “couldn’t believe” what had happened.
Hajiya Sa’adatu said she was “greatly disappointed” to learn of the delay when she came out to cast her vote in the northern city of Kano.
“We spent all night without sleeping hoping to vote today,” Auwolu Usman, a voter in Maiduguri, told Reuters.
Oyi Adamezie, in the city of Warri, told Agence France-Presse: “I see this postponement of the election as a ploy to rig.”
Yusuf Ibrahim, in Abuja, told Associated Press: “I came all the way from my home to cast my vote this morning… I am not happy, I’m very, very angry.”
Election officials bore the brunt of the anger:
So why was voting postponed?
The electoral chief, Mr Yakubu, said: “Our decision was entirely taken by the commission. It has nothing to do with security, nothing to do with political influence.”
He said the delay was down to problems with the transportation of electoral materials – ballot papers and results sheets – to some parts of the country.
He had earlier said the decision was made because of a “determination to conduct free, fair and credible elections”.
In the past two weeks several Inec offices have been set alight, with thousands of electronic smart card readers and voter cards destroyed.
Nigeria has seen violence in the run-up to the elections and on Saturday 11 people were killed in an attack by Boko Haram militants south of Maiduguri.
Recriminations mixed with patience
By Fergal Keane, BBC Africa editor, Abuja
Suspicions of skulduggery, rampant rumour-mongering – and a pre-disposition to suspect the worst based on past experience – are hallmarks of Nigeria’s election season. It is not surprising that some voters expressed their fears that a fix was being organised.
The election commission chairman has denied this, citing bad weather and the challenge of getting the necessary resources to the right areas. But as recently as last Wednesday he was assuring Nigerians that the commission was ready for the elections.
Recriminations began soon after the announcement. The opposition claimed there was a government plan to create a low turnout that would harm its candidate.
But there have been no calls for street protests from the opposition, which is prepared to wait for the polls next Saturday. Importantly, the two main contenders have appealed to their supporters to remain calm.
What happens next?
The presidential and parliamentary votes have been rescheduled for Saturday 23 February.
Governorship, state assembly and federal area council elections have been rescheduled until Saturday 9 March.
The contest between the two main presidential contenders is expected to be tight.
Presidential elections in 2011 and 2015 were also delayed.
How important is this poll?
The future of Africa’s most populous nation and largest economy is at stake.
Thousands of mourners have been attending funerals across India for some of the security force personnel killed by a suicide bomber in Indian-administered Kashmir on Thursday.
At least 40 paramilitary police died in the attack near Srinagar.
The militant group Jaish-e-Mohammad said it carried out the attack.
India has imposed a swathe of economic measures on Pakistan after the attack, including revoking Most Favoured Nation trading status and raising customs duty to 200%.
Although Jaish-e-Mohammad is based in Pakistan, Islamabad has denied any role in the attack.
Both India and Pakistan claim all of Muslim-majority Kashmir but control only parts of it.
Relatives of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) soldier Sukhjinder Singh mourn as his coffin is taken to his cremation ceremony at the village of Gandiwind in the Tarn Taran district of India’s Punjab state.
The cremation is held for CRPF trooper Kaushal Kumar Rawat in Agra.
CRPF and Rapid Action Force soldiers hold candles in tribute to dead colleagues during a vigil in Bhopal.
CRPF officers bow in tribute (top) to colleague Bablu Santra in Howrah, West Bengal, as his mother (above right) mourns him in the village of Bauria.
CRPF personnel stand guard over the coffins of Sudip Biswas and Bablu Santra at Kolkata airport.
People attend a vigil in front of the India Gate war memorial in Delhi.
The coffin of Mahesh Kumar Meena arrives near Allahabad (top) and hundreds gather on the bank of the Ganges for his funeral procession.
Dozens more gather for the return of the body of CRPF member Tilak Raj at his home in the village of Dhewa Jandroh, 90km (55 miles) from Dharamsala.
Tension remains high in Jammu, Indian-administered Kashmir, amid a curfew.
British regional airline Flybmi has cancelled all its flights and filed for administration, the airline has announced.
The company said it had been badly affected by rises in fuel and carbon costs and uncertainty over Brexit.
The East Midlands-based airline, which has 376 staff, operates 17 planes flying to 25 European cities.
Affected passengers have been told to contact their travel agents or insurance and credit card companies.
A Flybmi spokesman said: “It is with a heavy heart that we have made this unavoidable announcement.
“The airline has faced several difficulties, including recent spikes in fuel and carbon costs, the latter arising from the EU’s recent decision to exclude UK airlines from full participation in the Emissions Trading Scheme.
“Current trading and future prospects have also been seriously affected by the uncertainty created by the Brexit process, which has led to our inability to secure valuable flying contracts in Europe.”
The airline issued the following advice to those due to fly:
People who booked directly with Flybmi should contact their card issuer to seek a refund.
Passengers who booked via a travel agent or one of Flybmi’s partner airlines should contact them to see what their options are.
Those with travel insurance should see if they are eligible to claim for cancelled flights.
Great start to our holiday; en route with @Charlot53066691 and the family by taxi to Heathrow as our @flybmi from Bristol to Munich (which had previously been changed from Southampton) was cancelled with no explanation after we had gone through security! 😬😬😬
We are very sorry to hear about the situation with the competing British regional airline Flybmi and our thoughts are with their employees during these difficult times. Flybe has nothing to do with Flybmi and our flights continue to operate as normal.
British Airline Pilots’ Association general secretary Brian Strutton said: “The collapse of Flybmi is devastating news for all employees.
“Regrettably Balpa had no warning or any information from the company at all.”
“Our immediate steps will be to support Flybmi pilots and explore with the directors and administrators whether their jobs can be saved.”
Last year the airline ran 29,000 flights, carrying 522,000 passengers.
Flying from Aberdeen, Derry, Bristol, the East Midlands, Stansted and Newcastle in the UK, its planes travelled to destinations in the Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Norway, Poland and Sweden.
One of Flybmi’s domestic routes, linking Derry and Stansted, was subsidised by the government to boost trade and travel between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK.
Several people use the flights for work and Derry Strabane Council said it was in emergency talks with the Department of Transport to seek a replacement airline on that route.
Travel expert Simon Calder told BBC News it had been an “extremely difficult winter” for many airlines.
“Small airlines which do not have the weight of their bigger rivals are particularly vulnerable,” he said. “There are simply too many seats and not enough people.”
Are you a Flybmi customer that has been affected? Or are you a Flybmi employee? Get in touch by emailing email@example.com
Please include a contact number if you are willing to speak to a BBC journalist. You can also contact us in the following ways:
He added that aid was being stockpiled in Miami to be flown to the Dutch territory of Curaçao early next week.
It remains unclear if the aid will be allowed to enter Venezuela.
President Nicolas Maduro has called the operation a US-orchestrated show and denies there is any crisis.
On Friday he ordered the military to remain on high alert against what he described as US “war plans”.
Please upgrade your browser to view this content.
How the story unfolded
Share this chatbot.
Mr Guaidó, who has been recognised by the US and most Western governments as interim president of Venezuela, said hundreds of thousands of volunteers had signed up to create brigades to help get the aid into the country.
He repeated his call to the Venezuelan military to allow the aid to go through, but it is unclear if they will do so.
“The message we have to get through to the armed forces is that they have one week to do the right thing.”
Demonstrators have marched en masse through Barcelona in protest at the trial of Catalan separatist leaders.
Some 200,000 people took to the streets, waving Catalan flags and shouting pro-separatist slogans in support of the 12 leaders on trial.
The trial, at Madrid’s Supreme Court, follows Catalonia’s independence referendum and failed attempt to secede from Spain in October 2017.
If convicted, some of the leaders could face up to 25 years in prison.
The Catalonia crisis is thought to be the most serious to hit Spain since the death of dictator Francisco Franco in 1975, and the country’s transition to democracy.
Soon after the referendum, Spanish authorities had declared that it was illegal, and the national government imposed direct rule over the semi-autonomous region.
Prosecutor Fidel Cadena told the court that the separatists were promoting “subversion and rupture of the constitutional order”. Spain’s 1978 constitution speaks of “the indissoluble unity of the Spanish nation”.
But the separatist leaders’ lawyer, Andreu Van Den Eynde, said the trial was about “the right to self-determination and the democratic principle”.
“There is no international or European Union law that prevents the secession of a sub-state entity,” he added. “It does not exist.”
The supporters of those on trial appear to agree.
One banner, carried by a protester at the front of the march, read “freedom for political prisoners”, another “self-determination is not a crime”.
Speaking at the trial, key defendant Oriol Junqueras rejected claims they were violent.
“If you read, listen and observe our actions, no-one could have the least doubt that we reject violence,” he told the court on Thursday.
ISLAMABAD: The fight against polio suffers another setback as the Pakistan Polio Eradication Programme has detected poliovirus in the sewage of 10 cities during the last month. According to results shared by the National Emergency Operations Centre (NEOC), the extensive environmental surveillance has detected the presence of poliovirus in sewage samples collected from Faisalabad, Lahore, Rawalpindi, Karachi, Sukkur, Killa Abdullah, Quetta, Dera Ismail Khan, Peshawar and South Waziristan during January.
Considering the associated risks, the country programme has urged parents to ensure immunization of all children under the age of five years during the polio campaigns.
“Polio eradication is a delicate time race between us (parents and health-care workers) and a deadly poliovirus. We have to collectively ensure that we reach all children with multiple doses of vaccination before the virus reach unprotected children,” remarked NEOC Coordinator Dr Rana Safdar.
He said that winter months provide the best chance to tackle the disease as it provides the advantage of being the low transmission season. “The programme is focusing on children who miss vaccination because of any reason and let the virus survive no longer,” Dr Safdar added.
Pakistan has already had confirmed cases of the virus in the new year, with a 3-month old baby in Hangu paralysed due to poliovirus in the sewage of South Waziristan, while another infant contracted the virus in Lahore.
“It is a reminder to everyone that presence of poliovirus in the sewage of these towns can cause life-long paralysis, especially if the child is not repeatedly vaccinated, in the same town or in a distant town due to the frequent population movement. I can’t emphasize enough how critically important it is to ensure that each and every child is vaccinated,” said Babar Atta, the Prime Minister’s Focal Person on Polio Eradication